View Single Post
Old 05-08-2006, 04:29 PM   #214
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
I don't see why they shouldn't be. But neither do I see proof that are. I'm really not all that interested in explaining things away. Its boring for one thing. I'd rather live in a universe that includes Elves & Fairies, Tarot & Astrology, but that's just me. I want mystery, the unknown. That's my main problem with restrictive 'religions' & belief systems. I like the idea of turning a corner & meeting an angel, or laying out cards & learning something I didn't know. I have no desire either to have them 'explained' to me by a religious or or explained away by a scientist, because what both are saying is that I can only have them on (if at all) their terms.
Guess that I'm just bitter . So many times in my youth I wanted to 'believe' (aliens, Bigfoot, life-after-death, magic, etc), yet time and time again when I would look a little closer - obviously a character flaw - the facade would fall flat.

Maybe that's why I like LotR so much. For a time, when reading, viewing or listening, I can actually suspend disbelief and walk in that secondary world where magic exists as the world is so well constructed that I don't see the seams. Intentionally.