View Single Post
Old 01-08-2005, 06:46 PM   #2
Fingolfin II
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Fingolfin II has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I'll try to answer this as far as I know. Elves and Numenoreans alike worshipped Eru, as did the Valar, with many feasts and celebrations. As for many Easterlings (and some evil Numenoreans), they worshipped Sauron and/or Morgoth, being tricked into this. The Akallabeth will explain better what I'm talking about here.

As far as I know, Sauron was the only Maia to be worshipped, as he presented himself as a God and King of Men. Somewhere in the Silm (or maybe it was HoME?) it has a quote saying 'these are the powers of the world, the Valar, whom Men call Gods', or something like that. I suppose it all really depends on the 'education' of the Men; for example the Men in Middle-Earth during the Second Age thought the Numenoreans were gods, whereas the Numenoreans knew, or at least believed, in Eru and knew that the Valar were the governors of Arda; kind of like his regents. This changed though, when Sauron came to Numenor under the captivity of Ar-Pharazon. In fact, one quote in the Akallabeth says that during the lightning raised by the Valar, Sauron defied it 'and in that hour Men caleld him God' (not too sure about this quote; I don't own a copy of the Silm).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbercrombieOfRohan
Also Gandalf and Saruman weren't hallowed when they were in Middle Earth. (correct?)
Well, only a few people knew who and what Gandalf and Saruman really were, so they weren't likely to be worshipped as holy.

Quote:
Who would the hobbits/dwarves have worshipped (if they worshipped at all), because they didn't know the history of the Elves or had since forgotten it.
Dwarves worship Aule, their creator, who they call Mahal. Hobbits- I have no idea who they worship, if indeed they worship anyone at all.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, the Elves revere Varda the most out of all the Valar. So while they revere all the Valar, I suppose there are differing levels of reverence for each particular towards a specific Vala.

Last edited by Fingolfin II; 01-10-2005 at 04:20 PM.
Fingolfin II is offline   Reply With Quote