View Single Post
Old 08-16-2006, 04:42 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

I agree, and I think Saruman's voice fits in perfectly with Galadriel's conception of 'evil magic.' Galadriel and Sam's exchange about magic is interesting, and it sort of gives us the perspective of 'magic' from a 'magical being' herself...instead of looking at it from the ordinary non-magical Sam.

Quote:
'And you?' she said, turning to Sam. 'For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy.'~Mirror of Galadriel
Galadriel isn't familiar with the humanized word of 'magic,' it's something she's not familiar with. So, us ordinary individuals, like Sam, look at what Galadriel does and we think 'wow that's magic!' But to Galadriel there's nothing 'magical' about it, it's her own innate powers and her own capabilities.

And back on track to the original point I was going to make , Galadriel seems to set a difference between her magic, and the Enemy's magic. It's the 'deceits of the Enemy.' And if we think about it, she's true.

Galadriel's 'magic' (which is afterall just her own powers) is real, it's true, it's not fake. Let's take the Lembas, for instance, it actually fills you up in one bite, it's not something fake or trying to trick you. The Mirror of Galadriel, what the Mirror always shows you doesn't necessarily mean it's going to come true, but again it doesn't have the intent of tricking anyone. It'll show you the present, past, or perhaps the future. What's show in the 'time to come' may not always come to pass, depending upon choices, circumstances...etc it's possible that it will happen.

Now, let's look at what Galadriel refers to as the 'deceits of the Enemy,' which Sam would still classify it as 'magic.' But, I wonder is the Enemy's magic, really magic at all? I think Galadriel is very accurate when saying the Enemy is 'deceitful' it's purpose is to try to lie, cheat, and trick you to achieve what it wants. So, unlike Galadriel's 'magic,' the Enemy's magic isn't real at all, it's just fake baloney. And I think Saruman's power of his Voice fits perfectly into this:

Quote:
Mostly they remembered only that it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable...When other's spoke they seemed harsh and uncouth by contrast and if they gainsaid the voice, anger was kindled in the hearts of those under the spell...

The Riders gazed up at Theoden like men startled out of a dream. Harsh as an old raven's their master's voice sounded in their ears after the music of Saruman...~Voice of Saruman
This is what makes Saruman's voice really intriguing, is the fact that it can pull the 'cover' over people's eyes. Those who harken, and listen to the voice, start hearing and believing things that really aren't happening. They start hearing distorted sounds, from what is actually truly happening. And I think the Riders coming out of their 'dream' is just brilliant description of the power of Saruman's voice...and the influence that it can hold over people.

Also, to note, that Saruman was capable of not always being in the same 'Voice' or using the same Voice. I mean, he was capable of changing his tone and using a variety of different tones to try and get what he wanted.

He got the Dunlanders on his side, so he had to of been some sort of inspirational talker. Perhaps, the movies just are cemented and twisted my mind, but I think that if the Dunlanders joined up with Saruman, he had used their hatred to pump them up and fuel their rage into joining his side.

He was of course a capable sweet-talker to try to lull and weasel his way out of a sticky situation.

And he was also capable of using power and an intimidating voice to try and use fear as another weapon of his voice.

So, Saruman's voice, fits perfectly in with Galadriel's conception of the 'Enemy's magic,' and also the several tones Saruman is able to use with his Voice to in the end get what he wants (or at least attempt to get what he wants).