Thread: Ungoliant
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #5
skip spence
shadow of a doubt

skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.skip spence is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
No, it does not fit in the least. He wasn't in battle against an army who had weapons of steel, he was in Valinor. Metal armour would not have even existed then because there were had been to that time no organized martial battles. There would have been no logic to Melkor's wearing armour of any kind unless it was the armour of Darkness itself (as indeed it was), nor to his having a sword: he stabbed the trees with a black spear.
I believe that metal armours actually did exist at that time. Melkor spoke to the Eldar of weapons long before the slaying of the trees. I can't recall that armours were mentioned in Valinor but swords and shields certainly were, and I don't find it hard to believe that the crafty and paranoid Noldor also made some plate armour for themselves in secret, in addition to their weapons. The fact that the Exiles made mincemeat of Morgoth's Orcs at their first encounter suggests that they were both well trained and well equipped when they marched to Middle Earth.

Besides, Morgoth definitely knew of plate armours as he was one of the Ainur who had envisioned the unfolding of Arda in the Great Music and knew of many things yet to come to pass. He would have paid close attention to the war part of the story too, being the main instigator behind that particular theme in the Music.