View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 10:05 AM   #640
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I thought were deathless mirth and sun!

You were spot on about the recording delay; annoying, but fixable in post. I think I've got it right on this version, though I know some of the parts with me singing twice are still broken. So it goes.
Yay! I don't hear any delays this time, I think "in post" has fixed it. ^.^

Is this a comfortable pitch range for you to sing in? Another thing I can fix after the score is done is to make it a bit higher or lower, so it doesn't strain as much to sing at the upper/lower ends of the register. If you think that would be helpful, we can experiment a bit.

Coming back to the previous post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
*And* it's nearly finished right? ... right? Cripes this is a long song. I like the idea of trailing off into silence, but feel free to score it if you prefer.
Yes - I am almost halfway through the final section. I am very excited to finally be done. I also like the singing into dead silence trail-off, so I'll try to replicate that.

As for the lyrics -

Quote:
F: Forsaken by those I called friend
B: But to the end they were your care
F: The king in darkness meets his end
B: But there was ne'er a face more fair!
F: Of our two Lamps, but one can be;
I choose the only one I see.
I love this one. And the "give my light to thine". This is perfect.

The other stanza... I am still mulling over, and may need some convincing. It sounds lovely, but this wasn't how I read Finrod's meaning initially. I had a more depressed read on him. "My life was worthless, a waste, I am dying a stupid inglorious death in a pit" - and no backbone to give his life form and meaning, to echo Beren's earlier love theme "by you my life is justified". Your translation takes a different twist on it, that Finrod finds the thing which makes his existence worthwhile, which is sacrificing himself for Beren. It makes sense grammatically and even story-wise, but a deep part of me still prefers the utterly dejected Finrod.

I rather like your Beren line - even though "Finrod" doesn't rhyme with "Beren", I think we can let that slide for the purpose of better meaning/grammar. It's also a lot easier to work with. Actually.......

No, Finrod! / My loyal king, let not hope die!
But by what / my [long? whole? own?] life can be justified? my [tepid?] life is justified?

I think there is a way to bring "justify" back in there in some form. You are right, we were over-focused on keeping that specific line.

No, Finrod! / even from ashes hope may rise!
But Beren, / what deed my life now justifies?

Those daring / to hope may live through [perils?] dire!
But Beren, / what justifies my life entire?

This makes a whole new playing field. I'm not sure I've found something I love yet, but I think this direction is an improvement. Thank you. This reminder was very much needed.