View Single Post
Old 11-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #4177
Desert Kris
Newly Deceased

Desert Kris has just left Hobbiton.
Hello, I am new here. I've been a Tolkien fan to varying degrees for several decades. Tolkien is partly a family affair, and somewhat of an heirloom. It is a family affair in the sense that "My precious!" was a family joke that I didn't have context for. Later I was taken to see a showing of the animated Hobbit film when I was really little, probably because of the connection. My first attempt to read The Hobbit was a partial success, I got halfway through and thought it was great (but maybe also a little overwhelming).

Later on during a Thanksgiving we were watching the animated LotR, which I was young enough to enjoy without being critical about it. I loved it, but we had to stop watching in the middle somewhere. My father said, "Don't worry, I'll show you something when we get home." And he showed me the hardcover set he had of LotR. I made two failed attempts to start reading; getting a little further each time.

Eventually in middle school I buckled down and read the whole story; the third attempt was a success!

Now I'm making my way through The Silmarillion for the second time, with that book supplimented by materials from The History of Middle-earth. THoMe I haven't been able to get into until now; The Silmarillion has worked well as a road-map for reading across the History volumes to see alternative or expanded versions of the narratives, and explore the essays that elaborate on what Tolkien had in mind. I've now reached The Fall of Gondolin.

It's vaguely on my mind to read through the material covering the Second and Third Ages (including from the Appendices) before returning to The Hobbit and LotR once more.

I read many other fantasy and science fiction as well. A favorite from my youth is Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain. I also really like Dune by Frank Herbert.
Desert Kris is offline   Reply With Quote