View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 03:49 PM   #199
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien The Origin of Wargs

It is told that in their beginning the Wargs were made by Aulė in the darkness of Middle-earth; for Aulė was mighty headstrong and the whole Dwarf incident had not taught him his lesson.

Aulė wrought the Wargs in secret under the mountains of Middle-earth, crafting their magnifcent bodies to be strong and unyielding. He made them much larger than Dwarves, and gave them a form of the kelvar, like unto wolves since as far as humanoid forms went, he'd already been there and done that. Yet he also made the Wargs things of beauty and elegance, and gave to them minds capable of infinite knowledge and wisdom.

Now Ilśvatar knew what was done, as always, and in the very hour when Aulė's work was complete, and he was giddy with pleasure, and began to instruct the Wargs in the speech he had devised for them, Ilśvatar spoke to him; and Aulė heard his voice and was silent, thus ending this run on sentence. "Why hast thou done this? Why hast thou done what I told thee not to do, again? What part of 'don't do this stuff anymore' dost thou not understand?"

Then Aulė scuffed his sneakers on the floor and shoved his hands in his pockets, shrugging. "I dunno," he mumbled.

And then Ilśvatar took up a gigantic hammer with teeth on the end, and said to the Wargs, "I know what thou art thinking. Is he going to forgive Aulė again or not? Well, to tell thee the truth, I can't really decide. But being as this is a 44 pound meat tenderizer, the most powerful hammer in the world, and would flatten thine heads to little pancakes, thou hast got to ask thyselves one question: Do we feel lucky? Well, do ya punks?"

And the Wargs shrank from the hammer and were afraid, and they bowed their heads and begged for mercy. Wargs are fearless, noble creatures, but this is Eru we're talkin' about here.

And Aulė said, "Noooooo!" and flung himself in front of the hammer. "I am the one who is in the wrong, kill me and let them live!" he pleaded.

But Ilśvatar took compassion upon Aulė and his creatures, and put aside the hammer. "Oh alright," he said. "But next time someone is going to get it, verily."

Aulė began to thank him profusely, but Ilśvatar held up a mighty hand and added, "Finished I am not. Since thou hast so presumptuously wrought creatures in secret not once but twice, still there is a punishment thou must endure. These creatures, so noble and magnificent, shall be cursed ever onward to live a dual existence. Moreso than any other creature shall they be prone to the extremities of good and evil -- thou hast given them great minds capable of much wisdom, and bodies capable of great strength, and now I also give to them teeth and jaws of totally wicked awesomeness, much like my Hammer of Death. It will ever be a struggle for them to use this gift for things that are good, pure, and just. And always they shall be misunderstood and loathed by my Children."

"Sounds fair," said Aulė. "Nonetheless, they will have need of meat."

Last edited by Diamond18; 08-01-2004 at 03:57 PM.
Diamond18 is offline   Reply With Quote