View Single Post
Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Thumbs up

My definitive Tolkien song, other than, you know, the Howard Shore/Enya/etc. crew (whom I adore), is Led Zeppelin's "Battle of Evermore." t can be interpreted in many ways (it has a reference to "the angels of Avalon," for example), but overall it's a LotR song. "Queen of light" being Galadriel, for example ("took her bow and then she turned to go" - passed the test, and departs from Middle Earth), etc. And the sound, oh man, the sound - the mandolin is terrific. And the lyrics:

Quote:
The pain of war cannot exceed
The woe of aftermath,
The drums will shake the castle wall,
The Ringwraiths ride in black, ride on!
And it's a song that's still being sung today. I'm pretty sure that Plant was singing it just this year with... uh... Alison Krauss, I believe.

Quote:
There is a great piece of work by a Finnish composer Toni Edelmann who composed a host of songs from the LotR to a Finnish theatre production of the book in 1989.
Yes! Yes! I'm pretty sure they used to have a few available streaming back when I was still in high school!

And, you know, coming back to the Shore thing - my mobile ringtone is "Concerning Hobbits."

Last edited by Lush; 06-18-2008 at 02:49 AM.
Lush is offline   Reply With Quote