View Single Post
Old 11-25-2009, 07:58 AM   #2013
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Formy, good catch. I didn't think Marshal was right, but I couldn't think of the proper word.

I, too, wondered about whether or not a court martial would actually be present in Rohan, but I am not an authority on such matters. Elempi was always catching stuff like that and letting us know when to alter stuff. If we decide to try to make things purely Rohirrimic (that's not a word, I don't think), then we could figure out what would be more proper. I actually think that in Rohan there would be no higher court - a soldier would be first subject to their captain and then subject to their lord, and maybe, if the offence were bad enough, could be hauled off to court before the king. That also seems pretty much the exact thing that would happen to a civilian, so I don't know.

----

Fea, I found your post very interesting and from a neat perspective. I had never considered such a reaction from Degas before. I liked it.

And I think it's humorous that you keep putting little tidbits of Saeryn's past into your posts through Degas' memory....do you do it on purpose, to give me insight to her character. Thanks.

As for Javan, what do you think if he were made to help Aedre, and not Wynflaed or Lilige? His crime wasn't against the mother or maid. I wrote a story once where one character beat up another pretty bad and then the captain made him be the other boys personal butler for two weeks. It worked pretty well...mostly....

Honestly, we don't have to avoid corporal punishment either. It would probably be perfectly natural and acceptable for that time and place. Plus, it doesn't bug me. But then, if it's Saeryn who's dealing out the punishment, she may not be likely to do that. I could actually see it being more appropriate to happen if they gave him another punishment and he either refused to do it (if he was being made to serve Aedre or something) or, in doing it, he did not do a good job on purpose, or they got into another fight. But then, come to think of it, a second fight would not be left up to Saeryn's jurisdiction but would go directly and almost immediately to Athanar, and then things would be in Nogrod's hands.

I am looking forward to later posts today and seeing how this scenerio in the hall works out.

-- Foley