View Single Post
Old 10-30-2002, 08:23 AM   #35
TolkienGurl
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

TolkienGurl has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to TolkienGurl Send a message via AIM to TolkienGurl
Sting

The reason Tolkien included many gods in his stories is because he was very interested in mythology, especially Norse. I don't think that he was in any way supporting other religions (if he was Christian, why would he preach about other religions so very different from his?), but was taking mythology and Christianity along with other elements and combining them for the purpose of a story. That's all they are - stories. And very good ones as a matter of fact. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] When I read the Lord of the Rings, I can't help but think "Oh, that sounds like this Bible story," but I shouldn't do that. I believe Tolkien wanted to be unique in his writings and not sound like what has been written before.

I am a Christian, by the way. I didn't mean to sound like I was criticizing the Bible or anything!

Maybe I'm posting in topics way over my head. Oh well, its fun! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

If you are interested inother discussions like this one, read: Tolkien, Lewis and Theology also in the Books forum. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

[ October 30, 2002: Message edited by: TolkienGurl ]