View Single Post
Old 08-18-2002, 03:05 PM   #19
Greyhame
Animated Skeleton

Greyhame has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Greyhame
Sting

Greetings, fellow dead.

I myself was part of a group presentation very similar to the project being discussed. We chose to focus on the prevalent themes of community, sacrifice, atonement, and providence.

These are simple themes to sift from the narrative of LOTR, as they were very intentionally placed there by the good Professor, treasure to be found by those that look closely enough.

Also, these themes present crucial clues as to Tolkien's intent, to create a "fundamentally religious and Catholic work". And contrary to ever-increasingly popular belief, the author's intent IS what dictates meaning. It is impossible to truly learn anything from a written work without first extrapolating the message the author meant to convey. Now, in the case of "postmodern" writing, which disavows this concept of "metanarrative", or all-encompassing meaning, there is still a rhyme and reason, namely to show that rhyme and reason don't really exist at all. As nonsensical as that message is, it is still the message being conveyed.

So, my conclusion is that Tolkien, while definitely not an allegorist, purposefully set out to create a moral epic in LOTR, an epic firmly entrenched in the pseudo-pagan mythology he had already been working on. Being a Christian, the moral truths he chose to express were decidedly Christian in nature. He was in no way contradicting himself by doing this. Thank heaven we have primary sources like the "Letters" available to us to aid in uncovering that intended meaning. I believe it's something that Professor Tolkien would not want lost.

[ August 18, 2002: Message edited by: Greyhame ]