View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 11:42 AM   #35
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"Right, now I don't think there will be too much of a problem with you having your end of the deal, so long as you stay under control. I trust that Talan will help you with that if the drinks go to your head," continued Aylwen sternly, though she was almost certain there would be no trouble with Raven.

"However, who has ever heard of a one-instrument playing band? Surely although I enjoy the sound of your violin, the guests would also enjoy the sounds of a full group. You said you knew other musicians around here, correct?" Aylwen asked Raven, who nodded as Aylwen began to lead her out of the White Horse. "Good. Why don't you do see if they'd be interested?"

"Alright. I'll be back," said Raven as she walked down the street away from the White Horse, violin box in hand. Aylwen was glad of her choice of musician, for Raven seemed to have loved music when Aylwen saw her playing to the children.

Aylwen turned, hearing the sounds of voices trying to sing in unison near the kitchen-garden door. She walked over to the choir of children, straining to sing together and in tune. Aylwen chuckled, and pulled her pipes from her belt-sash. She played a simple tune, catching the children's attention.

"How would you all like to learn a new song? You can sing it for Bęthberry and all our guests tonight!" Aylwen suggested, sitting down so that she was close enough to the children's height. Some of the children nodded, others clapped or jumped up and down.

"Alright then!" exclaimed Aylwen happily. She had the perfect song in mind. It was simple, and a tad repetitive, but would do well for the children. "The song is called 'A Hundred Years Ago'. I'll sing the first verse, and you repeat after me, alright?"

Aylwen brought the panpipes to her lips, choosing the fourth pipe. She began the tune, remembering the first verse:

"A hundred years is a very long time,
Oh, yes, oh!
A hundred years is a very long time,
A hundred years ago."

The children repeated what Aylwen had sung, in a tune and pitch that was nearly perfect. Aylwen piped the bridge on her pipes and began the second and third verses.

"They used to think that pigs could fly
Oh, yes, oh!
I don't believe it, no, not I!
A hundred years ago.

They thought the stars were set a-light
Oh, yes, oh!
By some good angel every night,
A hundred years ago!

Aylwen paused for a moment after the third verse, searching the small crowd of children. "Come up here, child!" she said, to one little girl in the crowd. "What is your name, sweet?"

"Fainna," the little girl replied, eyeing Aylwen's pipes.

"Well, Fainna, would you like to sing the last verse of this song?" Aylwen asked, letting Fainna hold her panpipes.

"Alone?" Fainna wondered, examining the pipes and turning them over to look at them through the flute holes.

"Yes, but I'm sure you will do well. The last verse is simple, it is like the first. Do you remember how the first verse goes?" Aylwen asked as Fainna handed the pipes back to Aylwen. Fainna nodded, and sang the first verse perfectly:

"A hundred years is a very long time,
Oh, yes, oh!
A hundred years is a very long time,
A hundred years ago."

"Good job. Now, practice this song, and don't get into trouble with Froma for standing too close to the kitchen garden. If you still want to, you can sing it tonight for everyone. I have to go and get back to work, but I trust you, Fainna, to have these rascals trained and ready to sing by tonight!" said Aylwen in mock seriousness as she waved goodbye to the children and walked back into the White Horse.

Tar was still sweeping, and Aylwen grinned at his attempts to discreetly swipe the dirt under one of the rugs.

"Tar, I thought you were trying to sweep up and clean the floor," began Aylwen, bending to the ground and wiping her hand shortly across the floor.

"I was! It is a whole lot better than when you were sweeping. I'm almost done!" said Tar proudly. Aylwen grinned and shook her index finger at him.

"Then please explain to me why there is still a good layer of dust here," said the assistant innkeeper, showing Tar her dusty hand. "Or perhaps you just missed a spot?"

Tar laughed, and Aylwen watched as he got back to work. His clothes were so loose on him! Tar was a lot skinnier than the last time Aylwen had seen him. Why, he was practically skin and bones and messy hair now! But Aylwen felt a little better as she promised herself that she would make sure Tar got enough to eat tonight from Froma.

Everything was going well, and things were starting to pick up at the White Horse inn.