View Single Post
Old 08-24-2021, 05:53 AM   #79
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
CE-EX-28.2: I agree to use Malte since any how red-gold is always an alloy of gold with same conetent of copper (to get the red coulur), while yellow-gold is the pureer stuff (normaly with some very small content of an other metal to get more hardness).
And of course Utlcam does not sound right, so we have to change the order to Tulcam. But I would like to let the order in the text as it is and provide in the note the Quenya names of the metals and the english equivalent. My reason for it is that to get a red metal you would meed copper as a main alloying element. Therefore it could be that the elements are in order of content and even if they are in order of puting them in the mixture it would be a chame to lose that info. It might well be that Tolkien just had the names already composed and ordered them build a good sounding word. But with two of the names never used elswhere and two names label 'magic' it looks rather like an intricated composition process in which the order was may be not as freely chosen as we think.
Quote:
... Behold, Aulë now gathered six metals, copper, silver, tin, lead, iron, and gold, and taking a portion of each made with his {magic}[power] a seventh which he named CE-EX-28.2b therefore {tilkal}[tulcam,[Footnote to the text: {T(ambe) I(lsa) L(atuken) K(anu) A(nga) L(aure). ilsa and laure are the 'magic' names of ordinary telpe and kulu}[T(yelpë silver) U(rus copper) L(atúcen tin) C(anu lead) A(nga iron) M(alte gold)].] and this had all the properties of the six and many of its own. ...
CE-EX-28.4: Ilterendi: I found in the Appendix Names in the Lost Tales - Part I. the follwoing:
Quote:
Ilterendi In the text the fetters are called Ilterendi 'for they might not be filed or cleft' (p. 107); but root TERE in QL has derivatives with a sense of 'boring' (tereva 'piercing', teret 'auger, gimlet').
This suggestes for me at least that Christopher Tolkien nonetheless sought that -(t)erendi was a derivate of the qenya rout TERE. Possibly TERE had a more general meaning like 'to cut (by ship removal)'. Anyhow I do not know if that info is helpfull to find a quenya rout to from a replacement word.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote