View Single Post
Old 09-18-2022, 09:12 AM   #12
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I am thrilled that they did not shy away from showing warg nipples. All six of them! It was also a clever subtle way to hint at where the Orcs are getting their nutrition, especially calcium, from. I am looking forward to seeing the Orc dairy farms in the subsequent episodes, with hundreds of wargs.

Of course that is not the only direction this could go. Maybe it will offer a more nuanced portrayal of the Orcs, not just like the evil species that uses other beings, but maybe Orcs who care for mother warg who in turn cares for her little ones, and we could see her breastfeeding the little warglings. That would serve to remind the audience that breastfeeding is something completely natural and thus does not need to be censored, even among wargs.

On a different note, I also appreciate laying the grounds for the Hobbits' eventual motivation to bring down Sauron. I think that was one of the things Tolkien omitted: it was never properly explained why Frodo et al. should care if Sauron stands and falls. But this prequel is making it all clear. Sauron had lived with the Harfoots for a time. The destruction of his Ring shall be the Hobbits' revenge for his rude interruption of the Harfoot lifestyle, breaking their wagon, refusing to fix uncle Otho's leg and setting their Book on fire. If there has ever been well-written retconning, this is one!
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote