View Single Post
Old 09-08-2022, 12:09 AM   #2
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
White Tree It's my 2,222th post! I like half of you half as well as I should like, and

This is the MOST MEDIA EVER and I hope they make a RINGSOFPOWERILLION dollars, but I do think they revealed the "Halbrand is Beruthiel" twist a little early, they could have made that last quite a few more episodes. But the sword fight as the raft broke apart while swirling down into the giant whirlpool was pretty epic. I'm glad that it was established that elves can hold their breaths indefinitely, that will preemptively answer a whole lot of questions going forward.

Gil-Galad's interpretive dance brought me to tears and I'm not surprised it made Elrond kill all those people, it was just that powerful. And it was a great origin for Elrond's catchphrase "Men? Men are weak." CHILLS, y'all!

Moria was really awesome, dwarves and balrogs living together in harmony. Gothmog seems to love his balloons doesn't he? Almost as much as Durin III loves to keep sharp pointy objects everywhere, ha ha ha! What innocent fun!

I'll post a few predictions here that were getting too silly...I mean, TOO ACCURATE AND REAL for the Movies thread - if there's a better thread for them I'll move them -

We will not see any incidents of shield surfing until after the Fall of Numenor. Not because of any law, but simply because of a series of coincidences and butterfly effects that prevent it just before it happens.

I kind of hope that The Stranger is Saruman, and he has an almost rebellious teenager-ish time with the Harfootsies, getting into all kinds of juvenile trouble, aided and abetted by his mind of metal and wheels until he's seen by someone like Radagast, who thinks he's uncool, and then totally overcompensates by turning his back on the wide world and focuses on whatever the Middle-Earth equivalent of stock trading and land development is. (Probably trading of literal kine-stock and literal land development) He may say some cutting and rude things to someone who is later revealed to be Smeagol's grandmother, who becomes a bitter, backstabbing person.

We'll see more comets. Radagast will land somewhere in the woods, his comet will bounce amusingly for some time, crack open just like an egg and he'll imprint on the first thing he sees, which will be a rabbit. Alatarcomet and Pallandocomet will knock into each other mid-flight and fly screaming off into the sunrise, never to be seen again.

Elrond will grow his hair out - probably due to being too busy for haircuts while helping Celebrimbor at the forges. The weird "elf lords only" snipe seems to be an early indicator of some sort of racial purity push that will happen as a result of Sauron somehow - Elrond will be forced into exile, a subplot will be him founding Imladris and he will disappear for a few episodes until he unexpectedly shows up at the Last Alliance with a bunch of wood elves and/or men who refused to fight for Isildur/Gil-Galad, just in time to stab an orc that was just about to skewer Gil-Galad from behind. It'll be one of those hackneyed scenes where this particular orc is gloating before going in for the kill like some sort of dumb-dumb, only to be cut short, its only purpose to shield Elrond's new hair and wardrobe change from view for a moment before its carcase falls. No explanations will be given or demanded by the characters and Gil-Galad and Elrond will share a knowing glance and maybe clasp hands or forearms, before continuing to fight.

I really really hope that at some point it turns into "The Celebrimbor and Narvi show" and they have all kinds of cool adventures, like when Celebrimbor almost invents shield surfing but is stopped by Narvi, who isn't quite as drunk and uses the shield to bash open the cellar door behind which they were trapped while sneaking off to get more ale. Celebrimbor steps up when Narvi gets into a pickle with some kind of mithril-and-ale fuelled animatron that he can't stop, Celebrimbor tosses the dwarf-mecha off the bridge of Khazad-Dum, where it doesn't stop but keeps slowly digging deeper....and deeper.....and deeper..........and deeper.....................................one might almost say "greedily".

Halbrand (Raftwurst) will turn out to be Elendil who was trying to go on some sort of journey to "find himself" - the Elendil currently gadding about Numenor is one white and nine black cats in a trenchcoat. Isildur suspects something but Anarion doesn't, and there is much amusement as Isildur lays increasingly complicated traps (all Acmë brand) to catch the cats, and somehow proves Anarion right every time. The real Elendil will come home to his family and favorite trench coat having learned the greatest lesson of them all - "If you never say hello, you won't have to say goodbye!"

And the person who finally shield surfs will of course be Tom Bombadil, in his only appearance.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote