Thread: Your lotr dream
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 03:55 AM   #337
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
This is The Hobbit dream, to be precise, or what's more unusual, a dream about The Hobbit film.

I was in a cinema - a 3D-cinema no less - watching the third part of The Hobbit, which nonetheless was probably something that should have happened in the second part - and it was the part when Bilbo enters the Mountain to spy on Smaug. He walked down some staircase in almost total darkness and then there was a man who looked like something between bearded Wormtongue and Andy Serkiss. It was Smaug in his human form! Yes, Smaug could shapeshift into a human form if he wanted. But he was blind and could rely only on his sense of smell, hearing or feeling somebody's steps resonating through the floor.

He started searching for Bilbo in the darkness, reaching out with his hands, and it was actually pretty creepy. I thought "wow, they did this well" and then Smaug stopped just about a meter in front of Bilbo, who probably had realised that Smaug couldn't see him, and stopped moving and breathing. I was thinking "that's well done, but doesn't Smaug anyway remember the last point where he had heard Bilbo from? Wouldn't he continue in that direction anyway?" Then Smaug (who had his back turned to the camera) started turning around. I thought "okay, they probably made it so that he suddenly hears some movement from the other side, otherwise why would he turn to the completely opposite direction?" Then he looked straight into the camera and it struck me: He turned because he senses movement - me! Or, the audience, anyway. Of course the audience moves, I reflected, brilliant trick from the filmmakers, since other people were no doubt wondering about the same thing I did, why would Smaug turn, and now it has been explained - he heard or sensed them!

It was rather scary when Smaug started creeping towards the camera, but then obviously the audience stopped moving and so he eventually would move back towards Bilbo, who however meanwhile had time to think about what to do next. I thought that was pretty inventive, to make the audience part of the movie and at the same time solve the problem of giving Bilbo a bit of respite from Smaug so he could get out of the tight situation. Not bad, I'd say. I think there wasn't anything much more in that dream, however.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote