View Single Post
Old 02-26-2003, 04:11 AM   #104
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Good post Mr. Frodo sir. I always appreciate your thoughts, I thought you'd nail me for the mental patient comment, thanks for the restraint. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
Actually no. When you no longer reach that high, or get bored, you move on. You search for other drugs, bigger and harder. It doesn't matter what fills your hole as long as it gives you tht feeling, and satisfies your need for it. It doesn't have to be what your used to. If alcohol didn't work anymore, then you'd maybe move on to marijuana
This is flat out wrong. Drugs act in different ways on the body, alcohol, methamphetamine, cocaine, opiates, prescription meds, they each have a very different high. Almost all users have a 'drug of choice', some are dual addicted/cross addicted, but there is usually one in particular that is the crux. Believe me, I have worked with these people for years.
Quote:
but once you get past the step of giving it up, it is much easier from there
How far past? 1 day, 1 week, 60 years? When does the 'safe zone' arrive? When are they 'normal' again? I am afraid that it is never easy, especially when you have a lifetime of wreckage to clean up like Gollum. Is he supposed to go live in a cave again? Who would accept him like that? Hopefully somebody, but it would be a concern. If he was an outcast would he be happy? Anger, depression, fear might return and trigger old behavior.
Quote:
but Sam has fault in causing Gollum from losing his responsibility.
We'll forever disagree on this one Frodo. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:
depression
Prozac for all the Ringbearers, my treat! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Depression goes hand in hand with the hopeless state of mind Boromir might have been in, but what about the others?

I'll buy a pitcher of Entdraught for the first person that nails down a concrete theory on this Ring!

[ February 26, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]