View Single Post
Old 08-28-2003, 11:55 AM   #44
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

Quote:
Yes, it's like thinking that the earth is the center of the universe, or that there is no other life in the universe.
[sneering voice] I also happen to believe the earth is flat, so wot's yer point?[/sneering voice]

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Ok, joking aside, I believe that the notion of parallel universes goes against the notion of free will because the former is a challenge to the notion of the importance of the individual.

In my mind, it's like this: if a (the existence of parallel universes) = b (infinite number of different versions of me in an infinite number of the parallel universes), then a cannot equal c (the notion of free will), because then my entire life should be charted just according to variants and not logic or reason.

Sure, it's interesting, to think about how my life would have turned out had I requested a different dorm last year, to give a standard example, but I do not actually believe that there is another version of me out there, who did choose a differen dorm and who is leading a different life.

If you think there is a step missing from my little equalities set, I'd be more than happy to read about it.

Having written all that, I'd also like to point out that despite me personal aversion of the parallel universe theory, I am do, in part, subscribe to the view of the mystic Emmanuel Swedenborg, whose visions of the universe involved different dimensions, and situations akin to that of the Undying Lands (you can't see something because it's out of your dimensional reach).

Therefore to me, the view of Tolkien's structure of Aman is something that is, in fact, tied closely to my own religious beliefs.

Which is why I like to think I've an open mind on the matter.

[ August 28, 2003: Message edited by: Lush ]