View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I'm not so sure there was question about Dior. I would suggest it worked out this way (tho little was made explicit):
  • Beren and Luthien shose to be mortal, so their son Dior was mortal.
  • Dior (a mortal) married Nimloth of Doriath (kinswoman of Celeborn), a full Elf, so their daughtor Elwing was a Half-Elf.
  • Tuor, a mortal, married Idril, a full Elf, so their son Earendil was a Half-Elf.
  • Then Earendil, a Half-Elf, married Elwing, a Half-Elf --- and that really muddied the waters .
  • Thus Eros & Elrond were sons of Half-Elves - on both sides.
So when two Half-Elves show up in Valinor - the Valar were in a quandry and have to decide what to do and Manwe rendered his decision to give them (and their children) the choice.

Nothing was said about Dior. And I think that was because nothing *needed* to be decided - he was a mortal, just like both of his parents - q.e.d.
Firstly even if you discount Dior as being halfelven it still leaves his sons: Elurid and Elruin. So the problem the Valar had with deciding the fate of the Half-elven was an issue quite a few years before Earendil turned up.

Secondly Dior was the fist of the Half-elven by his own declaration and the the text calls him of three races. Having an Elvish or Manish fea means more than just being immortal or mortal. Humans cannot use magic and have to rely on sorcery. The descendants of the Luthien retain the ability to use magic and spells from their own innate power. Luthien's great power would still pass on to her son.

Dior's situation as I said is very different from Mithrelas. With Dior there had been no warning given. There was no precedent that was going to be followed. Mithrelas KNEW what she was getting into. Dior did not.

Further more looking at Manwe's ruling it is wrong to say that Elro's children loses the choice. The decision was made that all descendants of mortals no matter how small would be mortal, UNLESS a choice would be given. It is correct to say Manwe interferes and gives the children of Elrond a choice. He could have done the same with Dior and his sons. Considering the situation at the time this seems likely to have occurred. Manwe does retain the ability to make exceptions.

Back on the topic. If Aragorn several generations removed from his elvish ancestors still maintained the ability to use magic, how much more so did his more powerful ancestors? Earendil wields the Elessar on the same level if not greater than Galadriel.

As we can see in the case of dwarves, the invisibility conferred by the ring is not just a matter of being mortal or immortal. It has more to do with the inherent 'magical' powers that mortals and immortals have. In the case of Half-elven, there fea was probably strong enough to use the Great Rings without fading in my opinion.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote