View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfirin View Post
That does make some sense, especially how it applies to later generations i.e. that it seems as if, when an elf (or half elf) chooses mortality that applies not only to themselves, but all thier descendents. I am thinking here of Elros. When he chooses the mortal life (i.e. to become Tar-Minyutar, first king of Numenor) all of his descendents also become fully mortal. Elrond's line keep the choice, Elros's loses it. So the system is sort of skewed in favor of choosing mortal (each individual who makes the choice is equally free to make either, but a choice of mortality also takes the right to choose away from any children you may have, while choosing immortal doesn't) I may be wrong (after all we are looking at a very small number of examples, so the results may be a little biased) but at least that is how it seems to me (and if the argument is that Elros's children don't get the choice becuse they are 3/4 mortal, I would argue that by that logic, Elrond's should also not have gotten it; as 3/4 elf, they should have HAD to be immortal)
Perhaps he was only fractionally invisible, like a baby toe or pinky finger.