View Single Post
Old 09-30-2022, 06:19 PM   #3
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
- I know I have critiqued the pacing before, but the editing here has been some of the worst. Having a quick cut to the Numenoreans charging along the plain really took away from the moment in the tavern when you hear the hoofbeats like thunder. Same with seeing Waldreg using the key to break the dam and release the river like a proud ent, and then switch to a heartfelt scene between father and son. This could very well be personal taste, but I can imagine better editing would do a great service.
Also, the whole switcheroo with the sword-key was silly, along with the "hiding it so nobody knows oh but wait this kid knows".
I agree the Numenoreans charging over the plains ruined it for me, not only because it took away from the tavern scene but also because it made very little sense. I might have missed something, but how on earth would Galadriel/The Numenoreans know to hurry to this particular village? I mean you don't just gallop around the countryside hoping to run into a bunch of orcs up past their bedtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil-Galad View Post
- I feel more and more that Halbrand is Sauron now, especially from his interaction with Adar. Adar believes that he killed Sauron, who is known to take multiple forms. While the acting leaves a lot to be desired if he is in fact Sauron, it fits in plotwise. Hoping this awkard, possibly sexual, tension between Galadriel and Halbrand peeters off soon.
Yes, please make that tension go away and quick.
Also completely unreleated, is Halbrand's kingdom supposed to compose of more than a single village?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boromir88 View Post
The action scenes were ok. They didn't really do anything for me, besides looking good. I was tense during the orc Theo/Bronwyn fight in Ep 2 and the trenches fight in Ep 3. I don't think this episode did as good of a job as building tension, prior to and during the fight sequences. When Adar entered the tavern and the orcs start slaughtering the survivors only then did it pick up. I also liked when the defenders realized that it was men that they were fighting and killed during the initial skirmish.
I really liked them, but as Gil-Galad said it was kind of ruined by editing. While i enjoy a grand cavalry charge as much as the next person, I do think that these scaled down battles are more interesting than the big ones in the Jackson movies.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote