View Single Post
Old 10-21-2004, 10:00 AM   #22
Fordim Hedgethistle
Gibbering Gibbet

Fordim Hedgethistle has been trapped in the Barrow!
Saucy, you neglect the other huge difference between Rivendell and Lothlorien -- the latter has Galadriel!

The peril and the beauty of the Golden Woods is much more completely tied to the nature of Galadriel than is Rivendell to Elrond, I think; and thus, it is indeed a perilous realm for those who enter, particularly for anyone foolish enough to bring with them the One Ring, insofar as Galadriel is a far more problematic (and interesting) figure than is 'Rondy. She has not yet been 'tested' by the Ring -- there is the peril that she will take it for herself (*Fordim rubs hands gleefully in anticipation of the next chapter*).

I made the point above the "peril" pertains to risk more than to danger, but I did not really approach the question of what this risk might be. I think that it's got to do with the risk of bringing the One into contact with the Lady -- you might just get the help you are going to require for the success of your quest (counsel, the Phial, the Cloaks, lembas, etc), but at the risk of the quest's eternal failure.

I think the difference between these two realms centres upon the fact that Rivendell is a place of lore: the past is in the past, it's over and Elrond has accepted that, however ruefully. As a result, Rivendell is wonderful but not nearly so miraculous (or even magical) as Lorien: nor as dangerous. In Lorien, as davem reminds us, the time/land of faerie is still the lived reality of the realm; the past is not past, but is now. In effect, Rivendell/Elrond have made the decision to forsake Middle-earth: they've accepted the fact of their long defeat. Galadriel/Lorien have not yet made that decision -- this land knows that an end is coming, but seems not quite ready to accept that yet.