View Single Post
Old 10-08-2003, 07:03 PM   #444
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

My post was offered as helpful criticism to make this game better. I am not trying to control Vanwe (I never claimed I was, and I don't want to); I am not trying to control this game. I offered my opinion: this is what I thought a Discussion Thread was for. I highly resent the sarcastic comments that you wrote, Elora, as you were twisting my words and putting your own in my mouth. I was merely pointing out inconsistancies. I am not an idiot, and unfortunately I said some things that were exaggerated to make a point. Of course I know that Vanwe has abilities -- everybody has abilities: that is a given. I never said you should kill Vanwe. I never implied that she should be killed. I am well aquainted with the story of this game and with Vanwe because I took three days to read The Green Dragon Inn Part 4, starting on page two, and I read until I entered Green Dragon Inn Part 5 and Gilly disappeared.

I know that elves don't "read" people in the sense you think I mean. What you think I mean is a form of telepathy: that's Star Trek. This is Middle-earth. You took what I meant too literally.

When I wrote my post, I took what I knew about Vanwe and tried to nicely and politely point out where I thought she was acting contrary to her character. That was all this was about. I did not intend for this to become an attack on your character. This was supposed to be positive and helpful criticism. Now I'm being flamed for it.

To me, being conscious means being awake, which it seems Vanwe was in her last post. Hence my misunderstanding. I guess we have different definitions on being "conscious."

I did not mean permanent escape. I suggested that she could run into her mother, Barrold, or Avanill. That doesn't sound like escape to me. Sounds more like out of the frying pan and into the fire.

What do you think I am? We are all "authors" here to a story. An author knows what's going to happen. I was talking about from a reader's perspective, which I mentioned in my post.

This is not my game. I never claimed it was. I was making suggestions, I was trying to approach a problem from a different angle. Whatever you guys decided to do was fine by me. I just thought I'd add my opinions first and let the game owners make the final decision. I was trying to make it so that everybody could be kept in character, and at the same time pointing out things that didn't make much sense. When I write, I have somebody read my stories to see if there are any inconsitancies or to see if something is not clear. If they have a problem, I fix it. That was all I was doing with Vanwe. However, you are clearly upset with my post. I was trying to be friendly and positive. I did not mean to attack your character. You were free to disregard my suggestions, but instead you have decided to flame me for them. That is fine. If you want me to resign, you can have Naiore murder Maethor.

There is a saying that says that truth hurts. That goes for criticism as well.