View Single Post
Old 06-05-2022, 09:05 PM   #8
mhagain
Wight

mhagain has just left Hobbiton.
I mostly just want the show to not suck. Otherwise I'm happy enough to go along for the ride with whatever story it's going to tell. I know it won't be Tolkien, I know there are going to be parts of it that will be true, and other parts that will grate, but I've more or less made my peace with that. I just don't have the time and energy to invest in hating on something and that's OK. If it turns out I don't like it, I'll just go watch something I do like instead.

I also know that things are going to get very tiresome when it releases. There are still people out there who are so wound up in how the Star Wars sequels or latter seasons of Game of Thrones RUINED EVERYTHING FOREVER, and are so caught up in it that they're quite happy to continue producing 4 hour YouTube videos meticulously deconstructing every single minor point. Then there are the plot hole warriors who'll devote colossal energy to pulling out contradictions with obscure footnotes as evidence that they' re somehow more clever than the creators.

Finally there's the racist/sexist angle, already hard at work getting in a twist over deviations from "the lore". And it's always "the lore" with these people which is fairly convenient as it makes them easier to identify.

We've 3 months of relative peace before all this crap lands, and I want to just enjoy that.

So no, not too interested in engaging on this stuff right now. Particularly not when it concerns a show that's based on such thin source material that inventing stuff wholesale is unavoidable anyway.