View Single Post
Old 03-04-2003, 08:09 PM   #110
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

"Once, long ago, I told Gandalf that I used to think an invasion of dragons or an earthquake would be good for the Shire, " Frodo reminisced. "At the time I was beginning to realise that I was going to have to leave it. "

Cami waited, knowing the story, bracing herself for a lecture. Yes, yes, Saruman's men had acted like dragons, and had torn up the trees like an earthquake or worse. She wished for patience.

"And then I did leave it, " Frodo said. "And Cami, so did you."

"Yes, " Cami snapped. "I went to Minas Tirith, where I learned that not all men breathe fire and devour trees."

"It's a beautiful city. And a nice place to hold a wedding." Frodo put his hands in his pockets, and glanced out the window towards Bag End. "Such a beautiful wedding."

Cami watched him from under her eyelashes, waiting.

"And such a strange wedding. A day of joy, and sacrifice. A day of gladness, tinged with parting, and division of families-- forever. Almost like a twisting of time, for Elrond and Arwen."

Cami could not bring herself to feel sorry for Arwen. "She got what she wanted."

Frodo nodded, with an odd twinkle in his eye. "She did." Then he sobered. "But it has been hard on Elrond, and on Galadriel. And it was harder still, I think, on Celebrian."

"Celebrian?"

"Yes. She waited four centuries over the sea for her family to join her, and when Elrond finally came, he brought the news that Arwen would never come." Frodo looked down. "I had never-- well, it surprised me."

"What?"

"I had never seen Elrond weep until the day he gave Celebrian the news."

Cami stirred impatiently. Elrond was reunited with Celebrian; his daughter was happy in her marriage and Elrond should be happy about that. Cami shoved such thoughts aside, and returned to the gossip at hand. "Frodo, it angers me deeply that the Shire wants all big folk to stay away. Big folk have saved the Shire from so many perils. Couldn't they at least be grateful?"

"I know what you mean, " Frodo sighed. "And yet, Cami, isn't it partly to protect their innocence, that so many have fought so hard?"

"Innocence is one thing, and narrow-mindedness and ungratefulness is another, " Cami growled.

"Did it seem narrow-minded when you lived here?"

"Yes! Whenever somebody criticised Bilbo."

"You loyal friend."

"I try to be, " Cami replied heatedly. "And that's why I feel so strongly about defending the Big Folk who have done so much for me, so very much. And for the whole Shire."

"For a while, they were your family, weren't they; and The Lonely Star was your home. Before that, your home was in Minas Tirith. And you made a home of sorts in Ladros, and even in the Numenorean caves. And now you've made a home in Greenwood. Years of wandering with a few rests, and settling in foreign countries as best you can; you're even more uprooted than I am, " Frodo said, and met her eyes. "Where is your heart, Cami? What place does your heart call home?"

Don't ask me, Cami thought resentfully. Don't you dare ask me. It's not where, it's when and with whom; and every time I think I've closed the wound some meddling busybody pries it open again; leave me alone!

Still gazing deep into her eyes, Frodo nodded. "I thought so. Cami, I know in a way what that is like. My home is with Bilbo, however I feel torn apart from Sam and Merry and Pippin. And I spent years, long years separated from him, Cami, wanting to find him again more than anything. In that way Bilbo is my home, and not The Shire."

"I have children to look after, " Cami said defiantly. "I have Rose, and Gamba and the boys."

"Yes, I know, " Frodo replied. "But what I asked you was, where your heart calls home. And I think that answer is a little different."

Several defiant replies fought for position in Cami's mind, but Frodo gently turned, and left.

As he was walking back to the common room, he placed one last thought in Cami's mind. "Amdir and Estel are two different things, Cami; Estel is higher. Of the two, it may be the more difficult flower to grow, but it is the sweeter, and the longer lasting. It tells us that all things are bent towards the Music, and in the end, the harmony will be clear."

Cami went to the window after Frodo had left, and stared out of it towards the West. Harmony.

This is harmony? she asked. I can't make out a single note. It sounds like mere noise.

[ March 06, 2003: Message edited by: mark12_30 ]