View Single Post
Old 08-11-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Taters to Taters

I am sure most are familiar with the game "Apples to Apples" and it's become a staple of Barrow-Downer moots. I've been trying to think of a way to bring a Tolkien themed version of Apples to Apples to this site, and I believe this can work.

Set up

1. Now in Apples to Apples there are red cards and green cards. The red cards are people, places, or things, and the green cards are adjectives. For "Taters to Taters" it's going to be the same, but the red cards will just be a character, place, or thing from any Tolkien book. For the adjectives, I'm going to be using the green cards from A2A, and for each round just draw a random green card.

2. I will PM the players 7 "red cards" from the books. These could be characters, locations, or objects. I will be keeping track of who has what, but it would also be a lot easier if no one forgot/lost what their red cards were.

3. In this thread I will post a "green card," which would be the adjective for that round. And then each player, amongst their 7 red cards chooses which one they feel best fits the word. You will then PM your choice to me.

For example/
"Round 1
Green card: Cheerful"

And the red cards I've PMed wilwa are: "Sauron, Mindolluin, Gelion, Durin, Arkenstone, Ancalagon, Saeros"

-Wilwa will then pick which one she thinks fits best with "cheerful" and PM me her choice.

4. After I have all the players choices, I will post them in this thread, anonymously. (This part is important)

5. The Judge is selected, by me amongst the players each round. In A-2-A, it just passes around clockwise. For this, I'm simply going down the player list. Thus, Round 1, sally will be the Judge, Round 2 Nogrod...etc.
-The Judge does not play a red card in the round that they are judging (ie. I should not be getting any PMs from you if you are the judge of the round).
-After I've posted all the choices in this thread, it is the Judge's job to determine the choice the best fits the adjective (according to his/her own mind).
-If you are the judge, your decision is entirely up to you. There are no rules or restrictions on the judge, in his/her judgements. The only important thing to maintain is the judge does not know what players have played which "red card." It has to be completely anonymous (and which is why, everyond PMs their red card to me).

The judge, does not have to post their whole reasoning, why they eliminated some cards...etc. However, the judge must provide his/her reason for choosing the red card that won. So, when the judge determines the winner, post your decision in this thread. You must state your reasoning for the card that won the round. If you'd like to post more details of why you chose one card over another, or why you eliminated others, feel free. All that is required is to post your reasons in picking the winner.

6. After the judge posts the winner, I will know who played that card (and also the person who played it will know too ) and the player will receive 1 point.

7. We go to the next round, the next member on the list is the judge for the round, and we repeat this process.

Additional Housekeeping

-The first member to 4 points wins the game.

2 phases. 24-hours each. First phase is, in this thread, I will post the green card word, and the judge for the round. Players have 24 hours to PM me back one of their red cards they will play.
-2nd phase. The Judge phase, at the beginning of the DL, I will post the anonymous list of all the choices sent to me. The judge will have 24 hours to pick the winner, and post his/her reasoning. During this phase, players may also freely comment on all the choices. There is no posting requirement, this is just for fun and relaxed like the live A2A games. Before the judge has made his/her decision, players are not allowed to reveal which "card" was theirs. To do so, will result in your card being automatically disqualified for that round. After the judge has posted the winner, however, the winning player will be revealed (and given 1 point). Other players may then reveal what their "card" was, if they so wish, but players may also keep this information secret if they also wish. (Therefore, I will only reveal the person the judge picked as the winner. And if anyone else wants to reveal what they sent me at this time, they may, but it is not required).

-This can move fairly quickly depending on how fast we keep the PMs rolling. However, there will be a maximum of 24 hours allowed for each "phase." When I post the green card, players will have 24 hours from that post to PM their red card. (If I have ALL of them, before the 24 hours, I will post them all in this thread). The judge will then have 24 hours to post his/her decision from that moment.

-And before I forget. I've put the "red cards" in a word document, and just have a completely randomized list. Once a player PMs me their red card choice for the round, I PM back the next red card on my list. So, everyone should always have 7 options in their hand to begin each round. And my list, again, has been randomized.

*Any other questions? Essentially, this is going to run the same as Apples to Apples, but I'm serving as the "Mod" to disperse all the cards and keep everything anonymous.

----

Unfortunately, for this time, I'm going to have to set a cap, unless we can figure out a more econimical way of running it, because too many PMs would become quite unmanageable. So, for now, the cap is 16, and it's going to be first come first serve type deal.

3 though have been reserved for their assistance in the idea. And wilwa for coming up with the creative Tolkien-theme name. Originally, I was going with "Apples to Apples (Tolkien edition), but "Taters to Taters" is kind of perfect.

Players

sally
Nogrod
wilwa
Galadriel55
MCRmyGirl4eva
the phantom
Lottie
Menel
Kitanna
Gwath
Kath
Lhuna

Last edited by Boromir88; 08-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote