View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 12:57 AM   #47
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Do you think that M[a]eglin could have been redeemed if there was someone who loved him in secret and revealed it?
I've grown more forgiving of Maeglin as I age. Yes, it got disturbing with his stalking of Turgon's lineage. But I recall Maeglin was also described as pretty stalwart, when facing Morgoth, a Vala.

I wonder then, had Turgon been less absurdly vengeful in throwing Eol off the cliffs, as punishment for the death, then Maeglin before Morgoth in that 'Fan Fiction' should have had more emotional reserves to hold his own.

No doubt, hatred simmering, and a pretty immutable Turgon, with a city of such isolation, and protectionism, must have had it's cost on loyalty. Eol, I imagine, taught Maeglin that the Noldor stole lands, took power, and displaced his own kind. Maeglin, also knowing of the Kinslaying, must have had his loyalties eroded, due to that.