View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 12:42 AM   #12
Ivriniel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Ivriniel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
On my zillionth rereading of LR, and just got to the departure of the Fellowship from Rivendell. There occurs this exchange (mocked by some as trading platitudes):

It would take two decades before the hidden grief was revealed to readers: Elrond was raised by Maglor. No heart in the history of Arda was more broken by sworn word!
I don't see those moments as platitudes. Very moving, to see them quoted. Makes you wonder what Maglor was fixated about, and where he was marred by the Oath of Feanor, and how Elrond and Elros read that. I didn't know Maglor raised Elrond, or else I forgot that he had, but learning alters my understanding of Elrond.

The experience as we age impacts tones heard as we read and I'm repeatedly surprised each time it happens. Tolkien's heart and its depth comes across when I read the words.

His wisdom about death, quailing hearts and broken words, with lies of conceit from self-deceivers something that comes up for me. And this:

"And Sauron was deceived, even unto himself", which we are told, when Eonwe does not heed Sauron's obeisance, as he pleaded for Clemency. I wonder where Elrond was when Sauron was pleading, and what dread he knew as the Quest departed.