View Single Post
Old 06-17-2014, 06:26 AM   #18
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
Did Melkor lust after Silmarils? I think not.
"Melkor lusted for the Silmarils, and the very memory of their radiance was a gnawing fire in his heart." (The Silmarillion Chapter 7)

"Fėanor looked upon Melkor with eyes that burned through his fair semblance and pierced the cloaks of his mind, perceiving there his fierce lust for the Silmarils." (The Silmarillion Chapter 7)

"The Jewels were coveted by Morgoth the Enemy, who stole them and, after destroying the Trees, took them to Middle-earth, and guarded them in his great fortress of Thangorodrim." (The Lord of the Rings Appendix A)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotrelf View Post
I feel he stole them because they contained the light of the Two Trees; and he wanted them to keep from good side i.e. Valar. Light represents hope, and Melkor would certainly fear/hate them, but he'd hate the fact that the light is in possession of his enemies. After all he spent his entire lifetime in darkness and wanted to rule the world by that.
"He began with the desire of Light, but when he could not possess it for himself alone, he descended through fire and wrath into a great burning, down into Darkness." (The Silmarillion, "Valaquenta")