View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003, 09:13 AM   #67
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Faramir...remember the close-up in TTT? If I remember right, that close up happened somewhere between Faramir planning for their next move and speaking with the Hobbits. That particular close-up showed a look on Faramir's face: he looked afraid, indecisive, and very vulnerable; even desperate. That close-up did it for me.
I shall have to watch it again sometime! I only got to see TTT once in theatres and I eagerly await its video release. I remember railing against the portrayal of Faramir in past times, but I've read a few analyses on the changes made to Faramir in the movie, and they all seem to hinge on the changes made in Frodo. Frodo's behavior at this point does not inspire confidence, nor show the quiet nobility of his character that is brought out in the book. Since Faramir cannot reasonably trust Frodo, he is forced to make hard decisions. I do think he is kind of nasty, but then again, Frodo and Sam are much more evasive and Frodo less stable than in the book. I am prepared to forgive Faramir once I see how all works out in the movie ROTK. In a perfect world, we would have had a quiet but charged sojourn in Henneth Annun, where the errand of the hobbits is slowly drawn out by Faramir's deft interrogation techniques and a pleasant realization that he is NOT like his brother Boromir. "Not if it lay by the side of the road would I take it," Faramir is moved to confidence in Frodo slowly in the book, but in the movie, it is clear that more rash methods must be used and someone is going to have to pull Elijah Wood off that scenery before he chews it to pieces! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

So, it is a double letdown regarding Frodo and Faramir but probably necessary to keep the parallel structure flowing with the events in Rohan and Fangorn. There's got to be some action and I guess it wasn't enough to have Faramir's men skirmishing with the Southrons.

Something totally different than above rant: I know it is probably nitpicking, but why is Grima Wormtongue the only man of Rohan with black hair? Or did I miss something? Maybe evil darkens your hair? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I can't say anything against Brad Dourif, though; he's always excellent in his roles!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote