View Single Post
Old 09-23-2003, 07:16 PM   #7
Grimbold
Haunting Spirit

Grimbold has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Elendur, I certainly don't mean to be rude, but judging from your first post, I think you should have rethought your approach to The Lord of the Rings a while ago. I don't think even Tolkien would expect anyone to be so profoundly affected by his works, unless it was in simple appreciation of his amazing craft. After all, do you really think that the technicalities of exactly what happened are the things that give you joy from reading these stories? No way: for me at least, it's the grand adventure, and I really appreciate the details and would certainly have liked a completely accurate movie, but the changes were made by a person who loves the books at least as much as me. If you think PJ butchered LOTR, then I think you need to step back and take a look at how seriously you're taking this all.<P>As for avoiding looking at fan art, I don't see why you were afraid of that. I looked at great fan art by unknown painters and stupendous artists who later worked on the movies, but I never thought that someone else's vision could replace my own vision from the books. I'll admit that the movies have definitely changed how I view LOTR, but that's cool. Sometimes, I think people just have to move on.<P>You say, "I wish I had never seen the movies at all." This kind of bugs me. Frankly, I think you need a lesson in optimism, and maybe you just need to lighten up. Someone so excited by these books and then the prospect of these movies, and yet you end up saying, "Seeing the movies wasn't worth it at all." Your favourite stories, then you find out they're being made into movies, this should be awesome! Great! But instead, you make it into a disappointment?
Where is the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing? They have passed like rain on the mountains. Like wind in the meadow. The days have gone down in the west. Behind the hills, into shadow.
How did it come to this?
Grimbold is offline   Reply With Quote