View Single Post
Old 11-23-2006, 01:38 AM   #81
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Well, well, so the speculation has ended, and for good or ill we now know that there will be no PJ Hobbit. In spite of my many gripes about Jackson's version of LOTR, I do admit that given his geographical position and passion for the job, the three movies would not have been made without him, and we would have missed out on the visuals and cinematic story which expanded and breathed life into Tolkien's works. So it was with mixed feelings that I heard the breaking news.

Although it could quite easily be argued that PJ was the only man for the LOTR job, I think that The Hobbit could quite successfully be handled by another director. At least the triumvurate of LOTR script writers would not then have their wicked way with any more of Tolkien's material, and we may get a more faithful adaptation (nice dream). I suppose that the tone and narrative style of a non PJ Hobbit would differ from the trilogy, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. It would probably mean that the movie could stand on its own and not simply be a prequel. I for one am looking forward to the fresh perspective which another director will bring to The Hobbit.

It would be a shame if McKellen did not return to reprise his role as the grey wizard, and something of a loss if Andy Serkis was not there to perform as Gollum, but as for the other actors I am not too fussed. If Hugo Weaving were to return as Elrond it would do much for consistency between the movies, but on the other hand I would be interested to see whether an actor more suited to the part could be found (I wasn't a big fan of Agent Elrond). As for Galadriel, Legolas and Saruman, well I would prefer if the filmmakers stuck to the story as it is, rather than expanding on it and including scenes of the White Council and Dol Guldur, although I suppose an Orlando Bloom cameo would be good for fangirls/boys.

But whoever ends up directing and starring, I will be there with my popcorn and Coke (nice plug) watching the story unfold on the big screen. I may only watch it once, if it is terrible, but I will be entertained for a few hours at least! At least whoever directs it will have to show us Smaug the Magnificent in all his glory.

BTW, while we're speculating or fantasising about directors, may I suggest Andrew Adamson (do I have his name right?). I thoroughly enjoyed The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. That is, unless he is busy.

Last edited by doug*platypus; 11-23-2006 at 01:51 AM.
doug*platypus is offline   Reply With Quote