View Single Post
Old 12-02-2022, 07:37 AM   #597
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Hmm. I just feel like it's thematically out of place for Finrod to see Amarie's forgiveness before he actually dies and returns to Valinor/Mandos. On the other hand, in the Zongverse this song follows Camp, where Finrod is somehow heartened by Beren's absurd love, so perhaps dreaming that things will be alright in his own love affair is not out of place.
I think Amarie is a lot more conflicted than some of her lines imply. She's working through some stuff: one moment it's "Heed me, my heart, help him rise"; the next it's "Send your lament / over this desert of grief". But also, yes: Camp (and the Ballad to Amarie) are both about Finrod realising a) his breakup was entirely his own doing, and b) maybe it's not entirely hopeless.

Quote:
As a side note, was Amarie actually his wife in the text? In the Sil she is just "the one he loved", no word of "wife". I think I like her more that way, it adds flavour to Finrod's uncertainty and self-doubt and questioning about the meaning of life and his life in particular.
It looks like you're right. Finrod in the texts goes back and forth on whether he has a wife with him in Nargothrond (possibly named Meril, possibly with Gil-Galad and even Galadriel as children), or a beloved in Aman (named Amarie) who was forbidden to join him in exile; but there's no version where Amarie-in-Aman is his wife. Though the later accounts of his death make it clear that after his resurrection he lived with Amarie, so presumably they got married then, at least. Perhaps we can put their wedding in the credits.

Quote:
The Listen stanza then becomes entirely Amarian, which, as you say, really cuts down Finrod's lines. If we really wanted, parts of that stanza could be sung as alternating lines, or sung together (like the bitter bread whatnot), to give Finrod more screentime. But from a semantic standpoint, I think the whole thing is probably Amarian.
What I'm going to do is get Celebestel to record the whole thing as a solo, and then cut-and-slice it to see what actually sounds best. I've already, and finally, sung my own solo version for slicing: Finrod's Dreme. (Any comments on cues & notes I've still managed to miss are more than welcome!) My hope is to get her to record is next week, but we'll see.

Quote:
I made a sketch of Prison Duet a while ago. This one is surprisingly difficult to sketch, I feel like I still don't have the melody down properly. Repeating with the solo and the duet version, cause they have different cords. As usual, a check for tempo and pitch before launching into anything. Though with my current level of busyness I doubt I will be launching into anything anytime in the next couple weeks. I had a sketch of Hate too, but I recall I couldn't decide if I can sing Melian as written or if I would have to shift everything down a little... And if I would tolerate shifting everything down a tone after it's scored...
I can sing this. It feels a little fast maybe? I don't feel like I have room to let any of the lines die away, because I'm always scrambling to get to the next one. But within the lines they feel about right, so I don't really know. :-/

hS