View Single Post
Old 10-14-2022, 10:29 PM   #594
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Ok! It's done! Or at least I think I'm done tinkering with it.

Heart - music

Demo singing with a horrible recording which thank goodness isn't going anywhere and even got interrupted rather rudely at the end by a reminder that yet another meeting is about to start and therefore I have no time for a second take. The point of the demo is mostly for pointing out start times, because as you said the song is complicated and bizarre and towards the end I also added some extra beats between stanzas. Please do not use it for the melody, it is horribly off tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huinesoron View Post
I dunno, I don't speak music. :-D
But you know what? You don't need to. Often enough when I'm stuck or uncertain about the music, just regular description words you throw at me are enough to get it unstuck. And of course the point is not to achieve some musical etude, but to create the atmosphere, which you describe with perfect eloquence and efficiency. ^.^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
No concrete plans for the visuals; a fade-out is fine, it lets me fade back to just Finrod (it's his Dreme, after all) before going to black for the interval.
I've tried to pay attention to who is saying which line in the duet version of the song, trying - and kinda failing - to keep the instruments at least a little bit separate. And I came to realization that certain lines acquire slightly different shades depending on who is singing them. And then I went on to think about the geography of the song. "Dawn in her splendour is rising over chasms of ice" is really more evocative as an Amarie line than a Finrod line - I picture Amarie both metaphorically and literally looking eastwards in Finrod's wake via Helcaraxe. The mental image doesn't work in reverse, because Finrod would never have seen the dawn over the Helcaraxe, only generic metaphorical chasms of ice. "Crimson the night has passed over mountains undying" almost has the opposite effect - it would make more geographical sense from Finrod's perspective. Undying Mountains have to be Pelori. In Russian they are just mountains, no descriptors, but still - what other mountains could Amarie be singing about? They are still Pelori. It's an awkward description for Amarie in Valmar, since she is also "over mountains undying" in the same direction as the night is going... But I suppose if Amarie is standing on the seashore she might well still be east of the mountains, and the line could still make sense. Speaking of the sea, the other geographical-ish element is "sea-scattered mists". Now, it's really pretty... but I'm not sure what it means. Sea, as in the Sea? That would make it another Amarie-facing-east line in the ideal line distribution.

BUT, when it comes to it - unless the song is sung as a duet, it does not work as Finrod's Dream. It can still be Amarie's Heart, with Amarie doing a solo of conflicted feelings - but it can't be Finrod's Dream; that requires more of Finrod's presence.

It works both ways, really. Finrod's Dream as a duet, and Amarie's (lonely) Heart as solo. The geography is not perfect either way, and most of it is not our fault, and who even cares when you consider the amount of pretty but rather meaningless phrases in Amarie's songs (except me when the song gets stuck in my head).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
As if Dawn has ever been unrelated to this project. Excited to hear it! I don't remember if you've talked about hosting plans, but AO3 is fairly easy to use and nicely readable.
Umm, to be honest I haven't given it thought beyond Google Docs - either the comments enabled version for anyone who wants to do comments (they were fun!) or beta read (zero pressure, but it won't hurt, and I may have wheedled out a promise out of a person or two), or a published version for people who just want the text in easily readable format. I looked up AO3, and the one downside is any published text is automatically completely public, you can't restrict to only people with link... I'm just not sure how I feel about publishing something that isn't actually mine, or in its perfected state (cause, like I said, beta reading will not go amiss). But I will do whatever format works best for people who would wanna read it, cause that's the whole point of the endeavour, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hui
You're right and all. And Heart was probably one of the hardest songs, so maybe it'll be less of a struggle from here? Up until one of us decides to do something ludicrously complicated, of course. ^_~
Ludicrously complicated? Naturally. ^.^ And I am honestly not sure how much of what I said there was genuine optimism and how much was sarcastic pessimism, it was totally both simultaneously.

For next song, do you have any preference? Elanor asked about Prison Duet some time ago, and I figured there's no huge pressure to go in order between that and Hate. Epilogue is last, that's my only order request for the remainder of Act 2.