View Single Post
Old 07-25-2008, 08:18 PM   #15
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Being a geek implies something unnatural or unhealthy. I don't believe myself to be a geek, aberrant or doing something unhealthy. So what if I type this missive from a lead-lined bunker in my back yard? The end of the world is coming in 2012, so is there anything wrong with being prepared for the apocalypse? I don't think so. Does it matter that I've collected hair samples from each of the principal stars of the Lord of the Rings movies and had each encased in clear resin? People collect all kinds of things. It's not like I buy potato chips burnt in the likeness of Jesus off of e-bay (although I did manage to get the clavicle of John the Baptist rather inexpensively from a flea-market in Toledo, Ohio).

It's all a matter of perspective, really. If someone claims they don't have an eccentricity of some sort, they are either a liar or in need of a cathartic (perhaps soapy water or green tea). It seems those that cast aspersions on one group (say, against Tolkienistas) have an equally perverted sense of ownership over some other sordid pasttime (be it sports, movies, pets, collectibles, music, shopping or staring blankly at a TV ad infintum). I have acquaintances who dislike the Lord of the Rings, but can give you the batting averages of every starting player from the 1984 World Series; but they can't comprehend how that is just as odd as if I quoted a line from the Silmarillion (or Shakespeare, for that matter), particularly since they haven't played baseball beyond grade school. I do relish claiming they have man-crushes on their favorite sports stars.

Oh, it seems I'm rambling without a point. Perhaps there is no point.