View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #106
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
Maybe. But consider also that, by the time Dior was conceived and born, Luthien had already chosen to become mortal (so that her fea could leave Ea entirely). Beren was already Atani.

Seems to me just as likely that Dior, being born to two mortals (i.e. to two who already mortal), would himself, therefore, have been mortal. That is, it's the state of your parents when you are born, not how they were when THEY were born.

Now *HIS* sons, Elured & Elurin - - - that would make THEM true half-elves (born to an elf "Nimloth" and Dior, a mortal - in this thinking). And both of *THEM* died before the voyage of Earendil & Elwing - so the question still remains.

Did *THEIR* Fea, coming to Mandos, have the chief characteristic of Mortals - the "seeking elsewither", the desire to leave Ea? Or would their Fea have hung around in Mandos waiting for a reolution of which we are never told?
Whether Dior was immortal or not there can be no doubt he was one of the Half-elven.

What makes me think that the issue had yet to be decided is that if Dior and his sons had passed beyond Arda or stayed in Mandos then the Valar would have known precisely how to deal with Earendil. It is also possible that up until that time they were dealing with the problem on a case by case basis.

I just remembered that there is further evidence that Elladan and Elrohir left for Valinor. Arwen and Eldarion are mentioned as the heirs to all the elvish lands. Elrond's sons being older would have a greater claim to these Elvish lands if they had stayed in ME. Since they were passed to Arwen it implies they left with the rest of the Elves.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote