View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 03:41 PM   #252
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

POSTED! -- PIO

Congratulations to all and thank you for a merry round of roleplaying, even if I was often absent! Here is my final post, and though it isn't a gem I hope it satisfies. *bow*

Nurumaiel's post - Edmund

Edmund stood near his mother, considering gravely the events of the past few weeks. He thought of Kali, of the conies, of the sick children, and most of all his mother. He thought with great fondness and tenderness upon her in such a way that one would not believe a little boy of seven could think, but in a way that only a little boy of seven could think. He knew he had behaved terribly to her by his nasty conduct towards others, and he wished he hadn't. He loved her as dearly as a little boy could. How often he had wished he didn't have a mother, but surely he was wrong. Surely he loved her more than any other person in all Breeland and as far as the world went.

And how deeply he had loved his father. Edmund thought of both his father and his mother in the same fashion, in such a way that could not be described for only the innocent and wise mind of a child can understand such deep thoughts.

"O-oh, E-e-edmu-und!" The piercing cry reached the boy's ears and he turned to greet Kali, who was tripping towards him with a gay smile. Perched on the hobbit's shoulder was Edmund's squirrel. Kali laughed and gestured to it. "I found him scampering about and nearly getting smashed by feet," he said. "I think he's really starting to like me. He's always been friendly but he doesn't hesitate at all when I call him."

A rather painful memory had flashed through Edmund's mind. He saw himself and group of other boys forming a circle around Kali, laughing at the hobbit's vain attempts to recover his cap and calling him all sorts of terrible names. A deep crimson blush came to his face as he looked down at Kali's laughing face. He said nothing to the hobbit of what he was thinking, but merely asked him in great earnest, "Kali, are we friends at all?"

Kali nodded merrily in assent and then gave it not a second thought. "Edmund," he said in a low voice, as if confiding a great secret. "Edmund, your squirrel has a sweetheart." Edmund's eyes widened in disbelief and then he let his laughter mingle with Kali's. "Do you think she'll like us as much as he does, Edmund?"

"She'll have to learn, I guess," Edmund said. "But that means he won't be staying at my home anymore."

"I don't think your mamma would like that too much, anyway," said Kali. "One squirrel is bad enough but a whole family of the little rascals might drive her mad." He laughed again and then, looking up at Edmund with the greatest confidence and respect, he was so bold as to grasp his friend's hand. Edmund held it tightly. And so both the boy of the Little Folk and the boy of the Little Folk became best of friends, and they ran merrily off, Kali illustrating his plans to draw a family portrait of the squirrel's family as soon as there was one.

Last edited by piosenniel; 02-26-2004 at 10:29 PM.