View Single Post
Old 07-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #174
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Re: Kath's characters. I have poked her twice about Scarburg and the first time she clearly said she's coming back. So, ummm, wait for her still and not write anything too conclusive about Kara and Frodides, just assume at least one of them is there and edit later if necessary?
That's more or less what I was thinking. So we can just let them inconclusively run in the background and if it comes to that, we can just edit the name in the post from Frodides for Kara or vice versa. So as long as it isn't clear that we are dealing with the granny or with the younger girl, it should be fine... Even though of course it would be nicer to know soon.

Also, just posted for Hilderinc (with Lommy's assistance to fill in her character's reactions). It's basically open, if Lommy wants to post for Brith now, and whether eventually we want them to reach Saeryn (Folwren?), or only later...

P.S. Ad the whole potatoes situation: as Inzil had sort of pointed out earlier in his post, obviously it is not such a tragedy that potatoes have fallen in the mud, but I have all the time been kind of coming from the idea that there are people who have not seen decent food for weeks, and then a sack full of potatoes just falls and the precious potatoes roll in the mud. It's purely psychological, kind of hysterical effect you could expect from people at this stage, starting to look for every single piece, what if just one got lost in the mud! What if somebody stepped on it! What if random animals started eating it! (Those who arrived would of course probably have different perception of this, but I guess that much is clear anyway. For instance Brith cleaning the potato is kind of her own initiative, but every Scarburgian would appreciate it anyway, because it's a lovely gesture to our lovely potato which is about to save our life.)

P.P.S. Lommy off-handedly mentioned "do Rohirrim even have potatoes?" which, in my opinion, is a valid question, which had occured to me already when it first appeared, but then I concluded that a) even if they didn't before the War of the Ring, they had had 20 years of merry contact with Hobbits to get acquainted with them on daily basis (I can totally imagine Shirelings exporting taters in great numbers, if it came to that), b) the fact that Gollum didn't know what "taters" are, it doesn't prevent more "civilized" folk from knowing that. After all, everything useful we know of, including pipeweed, came originally through the Númenoreans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Yup, Javan will be around.

I'll post for Saeryn sometime today, then.

-- Folwren

Incidentally (just distantly related), Stefnu could be in the kitchens, too. I had actually some draft post ready for her already some time ago, but then things moved kind of in a different direction so I kind of ditched it. But Folwren, if you want to delegate something in the kitchens, you can include her as well (just as a "tool"). She's been working around for several months and is probably fairly "domesticated". But if you do not want to delay yourself with any kitchen stuff anymore and are just going to skip and post for Saeryn already being somewhere else, that's fine too. Because I would like to put in at least one post for Stefnu kind of musing about the meals to be made (if I still find the draft I had somewhere), and I can include others in it, but don't have to.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories