View Single Post
Old 11-30-2002, 11:49 PM   #22
Susan Delgado
The Perished Flame

Susan Delgado has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Susan Delgado Send a message via AIM to Susan Delgado
The Eye

Well, I almost qualify for the Coming of Age Club, but not quite. Here I fit in nicely [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

I'm 23 now and have been a bookworm since before I was born. That is, my father is a bookworm too. It's hereditary (at least in my family it is). He introduced me to books, specifically sci fi, but also fantasy and everything else in general. You know, Books, when I was very young. In the summer of 1986, when I was six or seven, my family read Watership Down and The Hobbit. I picked up Fellowship when I was nine or ten but lost interest somewhere after the Council of Elrond. I tried again sporadically over the next twelve years but could never get more than halfway through, despite reading everything else I could get my greedy little mind on. Finally, I realised there was really going to be a movie and that gave me the impetus to finally finish it, and here I am now. I honestly have no idea what stopped me all those years.

By the way, though I've now read LotR and Silm, The Hobbit is still my favorite. It was the one I could (and did) always read. Watership Down is also one of my very favorite books in the world, and I doubt I'd have read it on my own. Rabbits? No Way! It shows how much influence early childhood experiences have on us.