View Single Post
Old 09-16-2020, 07:45 PM   #262
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Does that mean we need a rhyming translation?
Said - done. ^.^
(With a significantly euphemized Sauron, despite which this poem could still find a worthy place in 50 Shades of Gandalf The Grey, the annals of which I believe are kept among other ancient scrolls in the lore-storage of Helsinki.)

MELIAN:
Really, nothing happened thus.
Thingol, my dear king
Was a royal dunce.
I am so fed up with our Elven forest trees.
I wish for a taste now of the Shadow's mysteries!

SAURON:
That accursed Silmaril has bored me near to tears.
Lacking woman's touch, my stronghold's halls are drab and drear. *
Finrod would have been enticing if he weren't so thin,
But delight is greater in the features feminine.

MELIAN:
Who stands now before me, more gorgeous than an Elf?
Is he not predestined for me by fate itself?
I need you alone, of this suddenly I'm sure.
O my Dark Lord dear, I am ready to be yours!

SAURON:
Why don't you come over, and we'll *gaze* the night away.
"Palantir and chill" - is that the phrase that Men now say?

BOTH:
Two of us together can make all this war undone:
Force of light and darkness, united into one!

* I am confused by this stanza, because "my Silmaril" and "Citadel of Evil" sound more like Morgoth, but on the flip side Silmaril is singular and Finrod never faced Morgoth. I am not sure which of the evil dudes Melian is eloping with. I figured it's probably still Sauron, so I changed it up a bit to match.

Doing this, I realized that I am building jokes on a song that is meant to reference and parody a musical that is based on half a chapter of a somewhat obscure book that most people haven't heard of, and deliberately making references to the translation of the musical that barely anyone even knows about. Just the level of involvement required to actually get here is...

But it was enormously fun to write. I loved playing the contrast of "high" phrases and slang phrases. ^.^

EDIT: Just watched the open air 2010 performance. It's only segments of the concert, performed by 3 vocalists. It is kinda weird to see Sauron do Beren's parts (though he changes his jacket to indicate the role swap). Finrod sings quite well. Unfortunately they still seem to be experimenting with siiiingiiiing reeeeaaaallyyy sloooowlyyyy, which kinda ruins the Duel as it loses momentum. But I liked Truth. They do some lyric changes in Dream, in Luthien's part*. They also have Luthien begin the final stanza (Let the wind rage...); other performances have Beren take the lead; that's something we can ponder when we get to that song. I guess the same applies to that stanza in the Showdown.

The guy whose youtube channel the video is on - it's the guy who plays Sauron, and from what I understand is also the musical's producer. He also has the 2007 concert clips, but you probably knew that already.

* Let heart rather than duty decide all. Let my path lie over abyss. The threads of previous [?can't hear] [...something about immortality... something something] My soul belongs to you (in echo of "what is and has been mine", except it's "yours").

Last edited by Galadriel55; 09-16-2020 at 08:38 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote