View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #25
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
One thing is for certain after reading this chapter...Tolkien knew how to write cliffhangers. This chapter leaves us the reminder that Frodo promised two private talks with Strider and Butterbur and Frodo wondering if he can trust anyone.

Even though I'm disappointed with how the movies depicted the atmosphere in the Prancing Pony, I understand Jackson's reasons. What I'm not disappointed in, is how he introduced Strider. Visually, it was a rare moment of perfection:

Quote:
He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved...A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits.
From the gate keeper, to the "insiders" and "outsiders" passing through, to Strider and even the innkeeper's "fat face," this chapter reads like a mystery novel. It's full with a bunch of characters and everyone's concealing something. The question remains what are people hiding and is it important to Frodo? It's impossible to put down the book after reading this chapter.