View Single Post
Old 07-08-2002, 02:42 AM   #103
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Veritas heard them, before she saw them. They were never ones to make a quiet entrance. As if to prove her right, Pio and Bird were singing one of those ballads they so liked to do at the top of their voices.

'But, no,' she said to herself, 'it's not Bird who's singing with Pio. It's a deeper voice, more in the bass range. Unless Bird has a horrible cold, I would swear it's a man.'

She took the sleeve of her robe and wiped some of the grime off the window facing into the courtyard. Once the circle of clearer glass had grown large enough, she could make out a cart and pony pulling in and three, no four, figures talking to the tavern-maid. Two of them she recognized - Pio and Bird. But who was the small child swathed in a large hooded cape, and who was that man bundled up in the bed of the cart?

Veritas hopped off her stool carefully, mug of wine in her hand, and walked out side to greet her friends.

[ July 08, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]