View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 PM   #75
zxcvbn
Wight

zxcvbn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galin View Post
Whether the Neo-elvish is accurate enough is beside the point however. Nobody was needed to invent any; rather someone associated with the films decided more was 'needed' I guess.
Quote:
The books contain more than just a scattering of words of course -- basically incorporate the Elvish that appears in the tale, and have a pronunciation coach maybe. See Carl Hostetter's previous quote (in my post) for why.
The films had several scenes where characters exchange Elvish dialogue which does not match the books word-by-word, and many of the songs in the soundtrack had Elvish lyrics. This demanded a lot more words and grammar than was printed in the LOTR books.

Quote:
A claim that Jackson desired accuracy concerning the languages, which he probably did with respect to invented stuff, is one thing -- but then, since Jackson largely chooses fabricated Elvish over Tolkien's actual examples -- well this seems to be rather an odd choice with respect to accuracy to my mind.
Re-read my previous post before repeating the same argument again. Jackson himself didn't know anything about Elvish, so he hired Salo. From his point of view, Salo's Elvish was as accurate as can be, since he probably hasn't read any critiques of Salo's work from the scholarly community.

Quote:
Back up the train here -- you wrote: 'Maybe New Line had that kind of attitude, but there's no doubt PJ and the folks at Wingnut Films and WETA only wanted the Estate's assistance to help create a more accurate, painstaking vision of Middle-earth. Notes on Tolkien linguistics, advice on costumes, architecture etc.'
my apologies. I should have phrased that a little differently. I'm not SURE that 'PJ and the folks at Wingnut Films and WETA only wanted the Estate's assistance to help create a more accurate, painstaking vision of Middle-earth. Notes on Tolkien linguistics, advice on costumes, architecture etc.' but that is certainly my opinion, seeing as that's what the creators of the stage play asked for(and recieved) from the Estate.

Quote:
I don't need positive proof that Jackson only wanted an official endorsement.
Then you have some doubt about that statement? It seems WCH doesn't. So I, in turn, take the liberty to ask him for proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
It's not unlike Gen. Omar Bradley's status as "advisor" on the biopic Patton. Coppola got a very big-name endorsement; Bradley got a pot o' cash and a glowing, almost saintly portrayal onscreen.

What was never in play was anything resembling historical accuracy.
Quote:
I asked for proof because you appeared to claim there was no doubt concerning your statement.
I'm afraid I don't have solid proof because most of the facts are unknown. You'll find that most of the posts here are made up of inferences made from known facts
instead of pure fact.
zxcvbn is offline   Reply With Quote