View Single Post
Old 01-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #25
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Posted by gandalf85:
Quote:
... I should have thought about not repeating editing marks.
You know what? When I started my work to reorganise the editing markers, I searched out the correspondences to the frist editing and re-numbered in between. Luckyly I found out before I posted, that in this way I would have reused some of your numbers in different places. Some times the wish for ‘order’ carry us away to the ‘dark side’ - like Sauron.

Coming back to gandalf85’s first post:
Quote:
This paragraph explicitly states the Valar had "the consent of Eru" but in the "Five Wizards" chapter this is ambiguous. Should we remove the ambiguity in that chapter?
There are two aspects to this question:

a) external timing / validity of the source: The choosing scene from ‘Five Wizards’ is the later text, so it might be that, if we have to change something we must remove the explicit consent of Eru here.

b) internal timing / necessity of Eru’s consent: In the Second Age when the Istari were choosen and Alatar and Pallando came to Middle-earth one might think that the Valar would not need the consent of Eru for such an act. But in the Third Age after the catalysem at Fall of Númenor when Curumo, Aiwendil and Olorin came to Middle-earth such an explicit consent might have been felt necessary.
Under this interpretation what is made ambiguity in ‘Five Wizards’ is no longer the consent of Eru, but the timing when it was asked for and given.

As there is an interpretation possible with out changing anything, I lean to letting the text stand as it is in both places.

I have another change to propose:[quoute]... but that was after he returned from his many journeys RS-SL-36.3h{and}><ORP into the East, and when he returned he> came into the realm of Gondor and there abode RS-SL-36.35g{.}><ORP at Orthanc in the Ring of Isengard, which the Númenóreans made in the days of their power.> RS-SL-36.4g<ORP Curunír went most among Men, …[/quote]

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote