View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 05:59 PM   #261
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
quote: "This conservatism, you should understand, has little to do with a desire for consistency with the 1977 text, but reflects rather "an extreme scrupulosity" in his handling of his father's manuscripts."

hmm. His editing of the Ruin of Doriath was anything but conservative.

But other than that [which was arguably nec. if he wanted a full story] I must agree.

But I was still a little disappointed he did not clean up his own version of canon at least a bit more.
-------
thanks for the heads up re: other publishing hopes and lack thereof.

What I am really hoping for is an Annotated Silm, that sidebars and/or includes all the choice bits of HoME w/ out trying to smoothout inconsistencies, but rather puts all the choice bits in next to where the occur [or where left out of the Silm] A sort of Annotated Hobbit but replacing the Commentary and pics from other editions, w/ JRRTs own Silm writings. I think this is perhaps the last thing needing to be done to give JRRT's full work to the public in a manner most befitting the writings.
Thus:
*the new Turin could replace the old [which could be sidebarred [[sp?]] w/ the 77/99 Turin.

*The poetry where it exists and is worth it, also could be along side.

*The Shibboleth could be added alongside the flight of the Noldor where relevant, etc

*The more fascinating Lost Tale amplifications which were never revisited [The Fall of Gondolin for instance] could be boxed and inserted or sidbarred, or included in a special font...

*And the tale of years/Annals could be running along the bottom as well.

*But I think most importantly, alot of real gems: Osanwe-Kenta, Laws and Customs of the Eldar, the Athrabeth etc, could be appendicized in greater Silm, and get the readership they deserve, not tucked away exclusively in 12 volume series' and even more obscure Elvish Lang journals.

Or something along those lines. As long as canon is NOT an issue then the possibilities and the editing [other than layout] could be relatively simple.

And it could get the deluxe box set treatment [3 vol's?] that the Silmarillion so richly deserved, but never got.

Heck, he could even put the Translations from the Elvish title to use.

Anyway, maybe that idea will float in the right direction...

----------
Until then at least our 'New Silmarillion' forum folks have one more text much closer to 'fulness' than a year ago, and we have some new bits as well.

Mr. Underhill: any new thoughts on trolls in the 1st age?

And a belated welcome to the Downs William!
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.

Last edited by lindil; 04-22-2007 at 06:13 PM.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote