View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 02:08 PM   #13
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

After receiving an invitation to check this out (thanks Aylwen) here is the character I hope to play in this game:

Name: Khalad

Appearance: Khalad resembles a Númenorean as much as is possible in these waning days. He is tall with dark hair, dark blue eyes and in good shape, like any soldier should be. His face is somewhat innocent since he has only been in minor battles a few times and thus has little experience. He likes the feeling of being in armour and often has his sword hanging by his waist even if not needed, also because it is an heirloom his father gave him when his son became a soldier like himself. He is not too fond of wearing the helmet though and only does so if he must.

History: As said, Khalad's father is a soldier and when he felt he was too old to fight anymore he received a job as captain of Pelargir's city-guard, and many of their ancestors were soldiers as well, or city-guards. Khalad's sword has the words "Peace and Justice" inscribed in Quenya, and is something his forefathers has strived to uphold since they came to Pelargir. The sea-city is where Khalad grew up, and all his life he has aspired to step in his father's footsteps. Since Pelargir does not see action often Khalad chose to join the army rather than the city-guard and proud of this, his father presented him with the sword. It is ancient from Númenor and has been in their family since it was forged. Khalad has fought in a few skirmishes to the south and was then transferred to the Poros settlement.

Personality: Khalad was brought up with stories about the splendour of Númenor and Gondor, and the Elves of old, and of his forefather Khalad who dishonoured himself, but then redeemed himself by fighting for the Last Alliance. His greatest wish is to see the glory of Gondor restored in these waning times, and become what his ancestor of the same name was, and that is why he signed up for the army; he is thus fiercely loyal and will allow nothing to come between him and his Codex, "Justice and Peace". He is thus eager to prove himself, but also young and has little wisdom, nor much experience with the ways of life. Also his strong sense of duty and justice can sometimes make him rather stern and without much compassion.
He has several younger brothers and a sister, and loves them all much; and so far from his beloved him all that reminds him of it is his sword, which he is very protective of.
He has been well-educated and knows much of both swordplay and tactics, though it is mostly theory since he has had so few battles, and he has not been able to test it much in actual combat.

First post:
Khalad beheld the buildings in front of him, reflected slightly in the sun. Marching along with the rest of his company, he held his head high as he clutched his spear and shield.

It looked rather peaceful, and he wondered slightly why he had been sent to this outpost rather than stay in the south where trouble was brewing. But he assumed that the officers had their reasons for sending him so far away from his home.

When he closed his eyes he could almost smell the sea, and hear the noise from it; and if he concentrated, he could summon forth a vision of the white marble house that was his home.

He quickly opened his eyes again though, not wishing to day-dream upon this day. It mattered not if Gondor desired him in Minas Tirith or Poros; he would remain the same, and would not allow anyone to accuse him of neglecting his duties. Though he had to admit, he would rather be in Minas Tirith now, than this small settlement.

His left hand slid down to his belt and although wearing the shield he was able to touch the hilt of his sword. He could feel its scabbard with every pace he took, but it felt good to touch it with his fingertips, even if it was the wrong hand.

He smiled a grim smile when thinking upon the few times he had been allowed to draw it with proper reason; to use it in defence of Gondor, and not merely for child's play. He feared though that the only reasons he would have for drawing that blade, would be to oil it.

An unnecessary precaution, since it was forged by metal that would not perish in such a way; yet after seeing the rusty blades lingering on old battlefields, he felt most comfortable knowing that something protected his blade.

This character may seem a bit odd, but I have been playing a Númenorean called Khalad in the RPG "Brotherhood" which takes place during the Last Alliance. I thought it interesting to now play a descendant and sort of continue that story, so I hope you will bear with me in this character who may appear somewhat different (for instance the heirloom sword that I hope you do not mind I transferred to this RPG as well).
If Khalad is accepted as a Gondorian soldier, then his rank may be whatever you deem best.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 3:21 PM January 20, 2004: Message edited by: Daniel Telcontar ]