View Single Post
Old 05-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #23
Gothmog, LoB
Animated Skeleton

Gothmog, LoB has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigūr View Post
I always thought that the reason for that was simply because the bearers of the Three literally took them off their hands when they heard Sauron incanting the Ring-inscription as he placed the One upon his finger.
Yeah, that's the best take on that. Sauron had no hand in the creation of the Three and did thus have no clue what exactly Celebrimbor did with them. Presumably the guy had some intriguing ideas how to expand on Annatar's general 'Ring of Power' concept Sauron himself never thought about.

Sauron certainly would have figured out what the Three could do and how to use them for his own ends but nothing came of that when Celebrimbor literally took of the Three - and I actually think he literally wore the Three on his fingers when he heard Sauron speak/think those words about the purpose of the One Ring. In his hubris Celebrimbor could easily have intended to use the Three all for himself to make his Eregion the greatest paradise (and himself the most powerful Noldo) this side of the ocean.

Whether the Three - or the Rings of Power aside from the One Ring - had any power source in a conventional sense I don't know. But I doubt it. They weren't engines, after all. Even in the case of the One I'd not say that Sauron had to put parts of himself in there to keep the thing working but rather that this was an integral part of his wish/spell to control both the other rings and their bearers.
Gothmog, LoB is offline   Reply With Quote