View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 01:10 PM   #94
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Tolkien later used always ‘c’ instead of ‘k’ in elvish names. Probabaly we will find a lot more, but here are the first such changes:

{Valakirka}[Valacirca] per later use of c instead of k.

{Koivie-neni} and {Kuivienen}[Cuiviénen] per Sil77.

{Helkar}[Helcar] per later change of k to c.

{Helkarakse}, {Helkaraxe} and {Helkaraxë}[Helcaraxë]

{Kalaquendi}[Calaquendi] per later use of c for k.

{Orokarni}[Orocarni] per later use of c for k.

{Ork}[Orc] and {Orkor} and {Orks}[Orcs] per later use of c for k. But keep ‘Orkish’ since the pronaunciation of ‘Orcish’ would be completely of.

While adding these general changes to our list I found this one:
{Palisor}[Endor] per QS77
In QS77 we find:
Quote:
The Noldor came at last far into the north of Arda; and they saw the first teeth of the ice that floated in the sea, and knew that they were drawing nigh to the Helcaraxë. For between the land of Aman that in the north curved eastward, and the east-shores of Endor (which is Middle-earth) that bore westward, there was a narrow strait, through which the chill waters of the Encircling Sea and the waves of Belegaer flowed together, and there were vast fogs and mists of deathly cold, and the sea-streams were filled with clashing hills of ice and the grinding of ice deep-sunken. …
This passage is drived directly from AAm, §157 but their the name is ‘Endar’. But in the commentary for this § we find:
Quote:
Endar 'Middle-earth'. The form Endon was used earlier in AAm of 'the midmost point' of Middle-earth ($38), where it was changed on the typescript to Endor (p. 80). These forms Endon and Endor had appeared in the Ambarkanta and maps (see p. 76, $38). In The Lord of the Rings Quenya Endore, Sindarin Ennor, means not the midmost point but Middle-earth itself, and in a letter of 1967 (Letters no.297, p. 384) my father referred to Q. Endor, S. Ennor = Middle-earth, with the etymology en(ed) 'middle' and (n)dor 'land (mass)'; cf. also Aran Endor 'King of Middle-earth', note 9 above. But in the present passage the form Endar is perfectly clear, as also again in $$158, 163. The typist however in each case, for some reason, typed Endor, and my father did not alter it. On the other hand, in the title of the next section in AAm (p. 129) the typist put Endar as in the manuscript, and again my father let this stand. In the published Silmarillion (p. 89) I printed, hesitantly, the form Endor.
This passage concerning the Helkaraxe derives not from QS but from AV 2 (annal 2994, almost the same in AV 1), and it is very notable that it remains in complete congruence with the cosmography of the Ambarkanta (see IV.238, 254).
So we are left with two issues:
- We have to find a better replacement for Palisor. I do not know how we came to Endor anyway since it fitted in neither definition. Palisor is introduced thus in the BoLT:
Quote:
Behold the woods of the Great Lands, even in Palisor the midmost region where the pinewoods murmur unceasingly, ...
If we look up all it uses we find that Palisor included both {Koiven-neni}[Cuiviénen] where the Elves awoke and Murmenalda in Hildórien where Men awoke. The best fitting name for this from Ambrakanta Map IV would be ‘Mid-Land’. So I propose:
{Palisor}[Mid-Land] due to Ambrakanta Map IV
- And we have to find a replacement for Endor as the name of the midmost point of Middle-Earth, since Endor is used for Middle-earth it self. And Endon/Endor does not only appears on the Ambrakanta Maps but as well in our text. With no better idea at the moment I would suggest to geo back to Endon. Thus:
{Endor}[Endon] if the midmost point of Middle-Earth is meant.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote