View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 11:18 PM   #334
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Tollers:

Before his friend could answer, Tollers had elbowed his way back into the conversation. He stared the Elf straight in the face and proceeded to talk as if Gable had never even asked a question of Colren. "Ah, my friend. I am glad you are back and that the little mishap about the nail and the sleeve did not prevent you from joining us. Come share a plate with us and perhaps a tankard of ale, if that is to your liking."

Tollers pushed the serving platters in front of the Elf, dished up generous portions onto her plate, and then went on to explain, "This fellow next to you is Master Colren. You see he's not from these parts, but he does have an interest in hobbit history. Actually, I was just about to tell him I'm a terrible one to help with something like that. I went to Dame Opal's school when I was a young 'un. I managed to learn my letters and numbers, but when it came to history I was a complete failure. I almost got chucked out on my ear."

"Funny thing, though, I hear there's a gentleman in the Shire proper who is a whiz at that type of thing. He knows a good bit about the history of the Shire, and someone even told me that he's begun to write a long history of the Elves. That sounded a bit fishy to me but this fellow insisted." Tollers rapped his knuckles on the table trying to remember the name of the famed hobbit historian. "Oh, yes, I remember now. That fellow is called Bilbo Baggins. A strange fellow, I hear. I suppose reading all that history could put your head out of line. Colren, perhaps Bilbo could help you? You'd have to travel west to Hobbiton, but I hear he has a whole burrow full of books so maybe you could find what you're looking for."

"I don't suppose, Gable, that hobbit history would be of interest to you or that you've ever heard of this fellow Baggins. Our history is a poor thing when compared with the much grander stuff of the Elves. Indeed, Gable, I am certain that life in the Shire is quite bland and predictable when compared with the way things work in a community of elves."

"And Master Colren, the history of men has its high points as well. It puzzles me why you'd want to spend time with hobbit history, since it mainly discusses who is a third cousin twice removed from someone else. But I suppose you have your own reasons, whatever those might be...."

Tollers glanced at the two strangers, curious if either of them would open up a bit more.

Last edited by Tevildo; 09-19-2006 at 11:21 PM.