View Single Post
Old 08-13-2023, 07:28 PM   #98
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiwendil View Post
An interesting argument, though I don't think I really buy that the entrance of Hurin into Doriath in itself was "an evil deed", nor the evil deed that robbed the Girdle of its power.
I'm not as convinced - just look at all the realms, as well as the individual people that Hurin's presence alone condemned to.

You could argue that it was just a case of a self-fulfiling prophecy (i.e. Hardang refusing to allow Hurin entry into Brethil, and the subsequent indignities that Hurin suffered, which didn't sit very well with the populace), a staple of tragedies in general...

...but, something here just doesn't feel right - something that Lorgan, the lord of the Easterlings in Hithlum, himself felt IMO when he met Hurin:

...Then hearing that Húrin had not after all the favour of Morgoth, or forswore it, many of Lorgan's men drew their swords to put an end to him. But Lorgan restrained them; for he was wary, and more cunning and wicked than the others, and quicker therefore to guess at the purposes of the Master. - The War of the Jewels, 'The Wanderings of Húrin', p. 253

The Master here, of course, meaning Morgoth.

What I'm trying to say, after all - contrary to my prior opinion on the subject, there might have actually been a metaphysical 'curse' on Hurin and his family, allowed (for whatever Jobian reason) by Iluvatar.

Other than that, I seem to think that we're in complete agreement about the stuff with the Dwarves and Thingol, I guess.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote